XP Pro Reinstall Query

Jasper88 22:25 25 Jan 2008

Hi everyone,

I want to run a clean install of XP Pro and totally wipe the drive. Will I need to create a boot floppy or will the PC boot from DVD drive even though all partitions have been deleted?

Any advice gratefully appreciated. Many thanks :)

MAT ALAN 22:29 25 Jan 2008

As long as your optical drive in BIOS is set to the first bootable device, no problem..
Asuming your copy of XP pro is a full and not upgrade CD...

Jasper88 22:43 25 Jan 2008

XP Pro OEM SP2 - full version though as far as I know and I can boot to DVD Drive.

Just wondered if deleting the OS install would remove the drivers for the optical drive and therefore render them useless until XP reinstalled.

Would be grateful for your confirmation please...

MAT ALAN 22:46 25 Jan 2008

the drivers for optical drives are generic to your O/S you would only need to update firmware for these as a last resort otherwise they work fine...

tullie 22:46 25 Jan 2008

Dont uninstall,boot from cd,then follow the options.

Jasper88 22:48 25 Jan 2008

Mat - thanks for advice.

Tullie - are you saying boot from CD then delete partitions via XP setup program?

MAT ALAN 22:51 25 Jan 2008

click here

this will help...

Stuartli 22:55 25 Jan 2008

>>you would only need to update firmware for these as a last resort otherwise they work fine...>>

Optical drives require only the basic Windows CDROM driver, which is installed automatically.

Any other function of an optical drive is controlled by other means, such as a burning program for a rewriter.

Jasper88 23:01 25 Jan 2008

Mat and Stuartli,

Great advice. Thanks both :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017