XP Pro PC cannot see itself in network places

alastairlee 14:50 27 Jan 2006

I am trying to network and XP Pro and an XP Home, something I have dome a number of times before. This tim ethough I am baffled and can find no answer in forums so hope someone can help.

The problem is that the XP Pro PC cannot see its own shared folders in My Network Places.

The two PCs can both access the internet, all on a Belkin Wirelss ADSL Router, (the XP Pro is hard wired to this). The XP Pro can ping the XP Home

Any suggestions?

mgmcc 17:02 27 Jan 2006

What happens if, in XP Pro's "My Network Places", you enter the actual path to its own "shares" in the address bar, e.g. -

\\computer_name\shared_folder_name

Also, can XP Home see the shared folders in XP Pro?

Mr Mark Nolan 21:18 27 Jan 2006

i have the same problem i have a wireless router and modem in one and i dont see any of the 3 network places on any of the 3 pc's.

alastairlee 12:24 28 Jan 2006

mgmcc

The XP Home can find its folders if we type them into the adress bar, thanks.

I cannot see the XP Home folders if we do the same, we get the message

"Windows requires a share to publish to please try another location"

The XP Home cannot see the XP Pro folders

Alastair

dms05 17:19 28 Jan 2006

I have exactly the same problem with XP Pro on one computer and XP Home on another. It's baffled me for years! "Windows requires a share to publish to please try another location" is a well know message to me!

hunter006 19:53 23 Nov 2007

Im having this same problem. I can see nothing ,I cannot browse entire network nothing,when i click view workgroup computers it does nothing at all.there are three comps on the network one being xbox and they all work fine being able view and browse the entire network..

Any ideas anyone..

TIA

recap 12:38 24 Nov 2007

You may - if not already done so - have to create a shared folder on each machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?