XP Pro Multi Installer Licence

dogbreath1 18:03 15 Mar 2006

A mate's hard drive has just died and he had a new one installed. The guy who did the installation put SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D on the new drive and these were the only antispyware apps. on there.

I recommended that he installed Windows Defender but Microsoft's site would not permit the download because it's validation process recognised the OS as a 'Multi Installer Licence generally used in the trade' or something like that but written with a little more finesse!

Regardless as to who funds the 'legitimite' copy of XP Pro which is now to be installed, is there a way of utilising the new validated key to reactivate windows without the need for a new install?

Forum Editor 18:57 15 Mar 2006

The legitimate CD key will be needed to make the reinstallation, and this will validate itself online. You can't use it to 'legalise' an installation that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Microsoft's refusal to allow the Defender download will occur whenever your friend tries to download anything from Microsoft, so it's worth going through the hassle of a completely new installation.

dogbreath1 19:04 15 Mar 2006

I suspected that but didn't want to hear it!!! Thanks for the advice. Regards. db.

Ray5776 19:18 15 Mar 2006

You could try changing the key to the legitimate one.
Requires a small program "Key Finder" which can be downloaded free on the net, sorry dont have the link.

Ray

phono 21:54 15 Mar 2006

Try this MS KB page click here;EN-US;328874

phono 21:55 15 Mar 2006

Sorry keep forgetting about tha, try again at click here

dogbreath1 22:11 15 Mar 2006

Thanks for your responses. Both have been passed on to my mate. I've advised him to ring MS to check out the possibility of the 'legitimisation' option. If it's possible, it's just got to be the right way forward.

Cheers. db.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?