XP pro logs off when I log on

Morphy 09:43 08 Jun 2005

A friend asked me to have a look at his computer running XP Pro as the startup was extremely slow, found it was chock full of spyware & adware, and his antivirus had run out a few months before.

I ran Spybot S&D and also installed and ran AntiVir Personal Edition to clean these up, and afterward shut down the computer.

Now when he tries to log on it loads his personal settings, but then immediately logs off and gives the 'Enter Username and Password' dialog box again.

I have tred running in Safe Mode and also the Last Known Good Configuration, but it makes no difference.

Im guessing there is something in the startup sequence that is making this happen, but if so it must be something running before the usual drivers etc are loaded, otherwise Safe Mode would be OK?

Ive been trying to rack my brains to come up with a solution / find a way of getting into the system to remove whatever it is that is causing this, but so far have come up with nothing. HELP!!!

Micro-Man 13:13 08 Jun 2005

Can he log on at all, say as the administrator? If you press control alt and delete you should have that option available, if you select log off, to re log on as the administrator.

Morphy 13:32 08 Jun 2005

His account IS setup as a administrator account, I know you can get in as THE administrator in XP Home, with a username of 'administrator' and no password, because Ive done that on my own computer, but not sure if the same applies to XP Pro, or how to do it?

Micro-Man 15:40 08 Jun 2005

There should be one which you 'set up' when installing windows, (it asks for an administrator password during the installation) but it may well have a blank password if pre-installed.

Morphy 17:17 08 Jun 2005

Ok, will try that out, cheers

Any other ideas in the meantime?

lotvic 23:33 08 Jun 2005

have a read of this thread,
click here

Micro-Man 15:43 09 Jun 2005

Also read this click here and this click here to clear/reset your passwords

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?