XP Pro loading woes

Rich Pickings 19:30 28 Feb 2007

I've reloaded XP Home several times on lots of different machines using an OEM disk and the COA on the side of the machine and never had any problems. The only difficulty I've ever had is that I've sometimes had to do telephone validation.

XP Pro however is a completely different matter. I've bought some XP Pro media disks but when I go to load it the COA code is not recognised.

The only difference I can see is that the COA has 'Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU' and the disk doesn't mention 1-2CPU. The COA on my wife's laptop with XP pro also doesn't mention 1-2CPU.

The question is: Is this a different version of XP Pro that needs a different media disk?

I've had this issue on 2 laptops, both have similar COAs, neither have their original media disks, one is a Dell and the other a Compaq.

lotvic 19:52 28 Feb 2007

and take your pick of information!

Here's one such result
"The term "1-2CPU" simply means Windows XP Professional can be installed on a computer having either one (1) or two (2) physical processors. Windows XP Home Edition can only be installed on a computer having just one (1) physical processor. Visit: click here and look under "Scalable processor support". "

for info on WinXP's setupp.ini click here

lotvic 19:53 28 Feb 2007

oops, I missed off the first line!

google for 'Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU'

Rich Pickings 20:07 28 Feb 2007

Thanks Lotvic, there's some good information there.

Rich Pickings 20:17 28 Feb 2007

The only thing is, is that XP Home always accepts the OEM disk whatever the code, whereas the XP Pro doesn't. I will however give the system.ini thing a go, the disk I have is a volume licence disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone