XP Pro gone strange

wossie 07:35 10 Mar 2006

I hope you can help me on this one, I put norton antivirus 2003 in a friends laptop XP Pro and it came up with an error and kept restarting. I went into safemode and reverted the drive it seemed ok. Now her search function is not working and I can't get into system restore in normal running or in safe mode I get a black screen. I tried "run, sfc/scannow" to no avail. Can I repair it with an english version of XP Pro hers is in Polish, booting from CD or install XP in English over it repairing just the files. Any ideas, Thanks again. Wossie.

Diodorus Siculus 07:55 10 Mar 2006

Can you try system restore? (Or is that what you meant by "reverted the drive"?)

Installing XP over it self will probably change it to english.

Does your friend have any restore / system disks?

wossie 18:46 10 Mar 2006

I hope you can help me on this one, I put norton antivirus 2003 in a friends laptop XP Pro and it came up with an error and kept restarting. I went into safemode and reverted the drive it seemed ok. Now her search function is not working and I can't get into system restore in normal running or in safe mode I get a black screen. I tried "run, sfc/scannow" to no avail. Can I repair it with an english version of XP Pro hers is in Polish, booting from CD or install XP in English over it repairing just the files. Any ideas, Thanks again. Wossie.

Diodorus Siculus 20:02 10 Mar 2006

Well, I suppose I could repeat my questions too :-)

wossie 10:35 11 Mar 2006

Did you not read my problem, system restore does not work, I get a blank system restore box in normal mode, and a black screen when trying to enter safe mode. A lot of small things do not function with the laptop so I would like to repair the corrupted files if possible.

bruno 11:14 11 Mar 2006

It may be that Norton is causing a conflict with some other software( another anti-virus perhaps).Have you tried uninstalling Norton to see if it cures your problem.I have copied a section from an article on how to use "The last known good configuration".It may work for you.

To load the last known good configuration in Windows 2000 / XP reboot the computer and as it's booting booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Last Known Good Configuration" and press your Enter key.

Diodorus Siculus 11:21 11 Mar 2006

Do you have any restore / system disks?

Try a repair installation: click here
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?