XP Pro and disks over 137GB

WaTcHiNg 00:18 28 May 2004

Not sure how well known this is but .....

If you re-install Windows XP (pre SP1) and have a disk over 137Gb installed and connected, Windows does not see the disk until you install SP1. After installing SP1, the whole disk appears as 1 lump of 'unpartitioned space' and you've lost your data and partitions.

I had a backup of my data on a second partition on my 160Gb disk and lost both my data and backup sets. Whoops - Lesson Learned. Seperate disk (of less than 137GB) purchased for backup use from now on.

I guess this may become a problem as more people buy hard disks over 137GB as theirs start to fail and re-install the version of windows XP that came with their PC 18 months ago.

I've now created a new Windows XP installation CD with SP1 as per instructions on M$ website. Anyone know how to make it bootable?

MS web article to update your XP installation disk: click here
MS web article on he problem:
click here

Diodorus Siculus 08:16 28 May 2004

I can't answer your query but I want this in my postings. Thanks for the info.

Chegs ® 09:24 28 May 2004

click here

I just created a "slipstreamed" XP + SP1 install cd,its also possible to create a cd which needs nothing inputing from the user(includes updated drivers/cd key etc)so you simply set to boot from cd-rom.

WaTcHiNg 19:32 29 May 2004

Sorted thanks. It was the last bit about the bootdisk I was struggling with.

TomJerry 20:17 29 May 2004

(1) Copy all files from your Windows XP installation/setup CD-Rom to your harddisk. For example you can copy it to the folder c:\winxpsp. Make sure you copy all files and all subdirectories! You should now have a file called c:\winxpsp\i386\setupldr.bin. If not go back, you did something wrong.
The location of the i386 folder may differ, for example when you have a dual boot MSDN cd-rom it will be in \%lang%\winxp\%edition%, where %lang% is your language, like "ENGLISH", "GERMAN" and %edition% is "Home" or "Pro". Other CD's may have it just in the root or in some other location.

(2) Apply service pack to your files using the "-s" option (you must supply full path).
xpsp1_en_x86.exe -s:c:\winxpsp

jonnytub 20:52 29 May 2004

Spark6 21:03 29 May 2004

And me!

roy 22:39 29 May 2004

Bookmarked

gudgulf 23:45 29 May 2004

Hmmm---this applies to me ,so in my favourites,and my postings.

WaTcHiNg 17:51 30 May 2004

At this rate I may get a tip in the magazine ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)