xp pro clean reinstall but no disks

nhojnhoj35 08:29 17 May 2006

I want to do a complete clean re-install of windows xp pro on my works desktop but I have no idea where any of the disks are for it. Theyve probably been binned.

Presumably, I can get the licence key from the current installation but then what do I do?
Thank you for any help

rmcqua 08:44 17 May 2006

If I understand you correctly, this is a work desktop, so it's likely that your company has a multi-user licence for Xp Pro. If so, I find it difficult to believe that they have lost the disks. Are you sure?
If they have been lost, then I think you are stuck, unless you can convince MS, from using the current licence key, to give you a new installation i/d.

ventanas 08:59 17 May 2006

The licence key should be on a sticker attached to the case. But without any disc you will not be able to reinstall. Unless its one of those machines that comes with the installation files on a hidden partition. What make and model is it?

nhojnhoj35 09:12 17 May 2006

Hi,
Its an NEC Powermate. We are a small company without a dedicated IT department and yes the product key is on the side of the machine but all the pcs we have came with preinstalled disks.

Is a pre-installed version recovery disk unique to the machine or not?

If not then there is probably one I can use

Smiler 09:52 17 May 2006

Why not contact NEC
nhojnhoj35
and see if they can supply a disc as I think pre installed back up discs are tied to the pc manufacturers machines.

nhojnhoj35 09:53 17 May 2006

i will try that. thank you

Smiler 19:14 17 May 2006

Sorry ment to post the link to the site for you.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?