XP Pro CDs for Laptop

chislett 16:31 28 Jul 2007

I've inherited a laptop, running xp pro sp2 but without any recovery disks and no real way of asking if any exist. All methods of recreating I've come across need an i386 folder with the installation files, but this doesn't exist and registry points to a folder which also doesn't exist. Any ideas? I'm not that technical!

howard64 17:11 28 Jul 2007

it could be that these folders are hidden.

Strawballs 18:05 28 Jul 2007

What make and model is said laptop?

chislett 12:27 29 Jul 2007

Thanks to Howard, but files aren't hidden. Laptop is compaq, EvoN105v

Taff™ 06:42 30 Jul 2007

One of my customers has an Evo N1050V - is that the one?

If so it originally came with two Compaq restore disks and a copy of XP Pro (SP1) plus the usual documentation disks. I did a factory settings reinstall on it last week which involved adding SP2 from a disk supplied by PCA many years ago. Then there were 106 cumulative critical updates! I am pretty sure there isn`t a hidden partition and you probably need to update a few of the drivers from the HP site. There`s also a full service manual available for it.

skidzy 06:52 30 Jul 2007

Buy Acronis,probably the best backup you will ever need.
Acronis TI 10 click here

chislett 20:05 30 Jul 2007

Taff - it is the 1050v. There may have been disks but I can't ask for them to be looked for because of the circs in which I inherited it, so I'm totally on my own.

Skidzy - I have a full backup, but if the disks crashed I'd still need to boot from something. Thanks for the input.

skidzy 20:27 30 Jul 2007

With Acronis TI 10 you can create a clone of the harddrive,so if the current drive failed you...all it would mean is to buy a new drive and insert your cloned image.

Maybe of help click here

There is a uk site that sells recovery discs,but for the life of me,i cannot find it.

Strawballs 21:14 30 Jul 2007

With Ti you make a bootable disc that looks for Ti backups on second internal drive, external drive or backup CD's or DVD or if you by it on disc the Acronis disc itself is bootable.

Strawballs 21:22 30 Jul 2007

Also if you can borrow a copy of XP Pro you can use the COA product key from the sticker on the laptop I did this for a friend who got an ex company laptop which had a OEM XP Pro sticker on it and laptop had win 2000 I just formated it and used my copy of OEM XP Pro and it worked just fine activated it by phone.

Taff™ 06:39 31 Jul 2007

Strawballs suggestion will work however you will need to borrow a version of XP Pro that doesn`t already include SP1 or SP2. When I reset to factory settings last week I tried to use an XP Pro SP2 disc with the COA on the laptop - it wouldn`t accept the product key so I had to go back to the original factory disks.

It might help if you tell us what you want to do. Do you want to do a fresh install of Windows XP Pro or just have a method of backing up your current setup?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?