XP Pro CD - Now no good !

Dmiles 09:23 13 Dec 2008

I have a few problems with my PC in fact quite a few. They appear to be corruptions that I may have introduced inadvertently due to great age and delicate health. So your advice is needed.

I thought the best way to proceed was to re-load my Win XP pro CD but I get the message
" ...you have an older version installed...are you sure you want to clear out etc..."

Best wishes to all Derek Miles.

Dmiles 09:24 13 Dec 2008

Just thought, should I move up to Vista or something ? ...I hope not !

Technotiger 09:31 13 Dec 2008

If you are happy with installing XP Pro, which you have on disc, go ahead with the install, as it is a Newer version of that which is on your PC.

Also as you were having numerous problems earlier, I guess it would be better to start completely afresh with your newer version, unless you have photos or anything else you want to keep. If so you may be able to keep them on DVD/CD or another drive.

Terry Brown 09:36 13 Dec 2008

Download Autostreamer click here run the program and put your XP CD in the drive, follow the on screen instructions and it will create a new XP CD iso, with all your curent updates on it. Burn this to a new CD and you have a brand new XP CD fully updated.
Terry

howard64 11:55 13 Dec 2008

if you want to format the drive and reinstall xp all you need do after of course saving all your data etc. is to boot from the xp cd and then install on the same partition as the existing which will overwrite everything on the drive. I have just done this on a pc with a very badly mangaled windows xp pro installation. To get it to format I had to use the option to delete the original partition. Then used the full format not the quick.

birdface 12:21 13 Dec 2008

try this just in case your drivers are needing updated.click here .Make sure your air vents are clear of dust and fluff if so inside will need cleaning.Have you ran all of your security programs.Tried sfc /scannow,chdsk.defrag.Run C Cleaner.You can do a repair instead of a reformat.

Dmiles 10:19 14 Dec 2008

Many thanks to all of you that have assisted me.
An extra thank you to Terry Brown whose advice I have followed with some success.
But I can only get so far.
Terry,
I have managed to downloed your advised software and got it to recognise my XP CD.
I now want to enter my Windows SP3 but I have tried every search system and done a physical through all folders, but I cannot find the location.
I know it's loaded because the SP3 is entered in the System-Properties - General flag.

Question - how can I find it please.

Kindest regards Derek Miles.

canarieslover 11:13 14 Dec 2008

It can be downloaded from here.
click here

DieSse 11:15 14 Dec 2008

Download SP3 from here (save it on your system)

click here

You use this downloaded file to integrate with your XP CD.

You'll get a new .iso file to write a new CD from. Come back if you need help to create a CD from an .iso file - don't just copy it!

Dmiles 15:15 14 Dec 2008

Are you suggesting that I do a new download and run it even though I already have SP3 installed ?

Thank you again for your support.

brundle 15:23 14 Dec 2008

I think you're being misled. The reason you got the error message is because you ran the CD from within your current Windows installation. Back up all your files, emails, etc etc then boot from your XP CD and re-install afresh as suggested above. Having a slipstreamed, service-packed (?) CD will save some time, but is not really the source of your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires