XP Pro- boots in a loop

jack 11:39 03 Aug 2009

One of my flock reeported that on boot up- the POSt got as far as 'Check pool data' and then rebooted and so forth in a loop.
I sdet to and carried out sysyten repair/re install with the XP disk.
All went well- no data files lost, Decktop came back just as it was.
Last nigh- he hot the windos update to download and said yes to all 30 leaving out only Explorer 8.
When ther machine completed it and rebooted it got as far as the XP Pro splash screen and proceeded to go into the infernal boot loop.

Whats to do?

birdface 12:03 03 Aug 2009

Try safe mode and if it works try device manager and see if any yellow exclamation marks on it.
or maybe last good configuration or system restore.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 03 Aug 2009

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

jack 20:50 03 Aug 2009

That is exactly what I did yesterday.
and it works as you describe.
He then got the updates messages which he obeyed- then the loop began all over after the re boot

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:22 03 Aug 2009

one of updates must be corrupt all you can do is start over with the repair.

woodchip 21:35 03 Aug 2009

Best thing is do the updates Manually, then just one at a time until you find Culprit. Slow but at lest you would know what was doing it

jack 18:44 04 Aug 2009

It is I am sure well intentioned advice - but but
As reported it boots and boots and boots
no safe mode nuffin
As I did Sunday- as suggested by fruit bat- looks like I will have to go over and do it all again.
This time me thinks I shall do all the updates/drivers and stuff rather than leave him to finish off- Which is what I like to do with my flock- otherwise the don't learn- as this guy obviously is not.

jack 08:17 05 Aug 2009

Got it will do.
In fact come to think of it another of my flock has this re-start problem after close down - So I have passed it on to him also

Good 'ere - innit!

Michael_R 12:25 05 Aug 2009

Is it an HP computer with an AMD processor? Because if you upgrade to SP3 then you need this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017