XP Pro - Automatic account log on on start up

cosi 13:44 18 Feb 2004

What I would like my PC to do is power up at a given time each day & log on to 1 particular user account.

Power up at a set time I can do. But getting XP to log on automatically into 1 (of currently 2) particular user account seems not possible, according to Windows support database.

Is this true ? I am hoping there is someone out there better than Mr Gates' employees :-).

JIM 14:03 18 Feb 2004

Bypass The Windows XP Log On Screen?

To make logon an unattended process?

Click [Start] [Run] and type

control userpasswords2
Click [OK]

The [User Accounts] Property Sheet displays.

On [Users] tab, clear the [Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer] check box.

Click [Apply].

Enter a user name and password that should be used to logon automatically in the dialog box that appears.

Click [OK].
Go to [Control Panel] [User Accounts] [Change the Way Users Log On and Off].

Uncheck [Use the Welcome Screen] and [Use Fast User Switching]

am i on on the wrong track,cosi?

cosi 14:12 27 Feb 2004

Thanks JIM. This sounds very similar to Microsoft's solution. It assumes (requires) that I only have one account on the computer, I think.

I actually have 3 currently: the Administrator with password & two others without. I would like to start up straight into one of the accounts without a password..while keeping the others available for switching.

I have this nasty suspicion this is not feasible, unless you know otherwise.

joelmb 14:48 27 Feb 2004

I would have thought it would work, but too havent tried, i only have one account, which it does allow to boot straight in.

Interested by your power up at set time - how you do that?

cosi 22:47 28 Feb 2004

JIM

Thanks again. Maybe I will give it a go, after next time I back up (&set a restore point)...cannot be too careful ;-)

The power up at set time is a setting in one of the BIOS set up screens, that comes with my ASUS P4T533 mobo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017