XP Pic & fax viewer

muddypaws 10:09 04 Aug 2003

Sent CDR to someone with copy of 'my pictures' on it. Won't play on his XP. Plays back OK on mine. Is it likely he has not got 'Windows Picture and fax viewer'? Where can he search to check and if not is there a freeby download anywhere. I'm unable to find one. Would have thought XP had it already installed. Mine was. Thank you.

Gaz 25 11:10 04 Aug 2003

If he runs XP he will be able to use Windows Picture and fax viewer.

Make sure though .jpgs are assigned to be opened in that program by clicking open with or pressing shift when right clicking and then clicking open with...

muddypaws 11:11 04 Aug 2003

When I say it won't play-- CDR runs but programme doesn't open.

muddypaws 11:14 04 Aug 2003

Gaz 25 Beat you to it with my last! OK thanks will double check that with him. Afraid it probably wont be till 2morrow. Cheers

muddypaws 15:08 04 Aug 2003

Gaz 25. Read ypur mx again. Not sure where he has to click. Is it on the 'my pictures' icon. Tried on mine and get no 'open with.' Sorry to be thick!

muddypaws 19:28 05 Aug 2003

Gaz 25 or others.
Just read in a mag. that if you don't 'close' a CDR on ejection it is incompatible with other CD-Rom drives. I left mine open as I was un-aware.
Tried you earlier suggestion, but no luck.
Anyone advise re 'closing' please.

muddypaws 20:16 06 Aug 2003

Not much help appearing on this one!!

anchor 08:48 07 Aug 2003

I am not familiar with XP pic & fax viewer; (I am still on ME).

However, Irfanview is an excellent free photo programme that is compatible with most picture formats. This should enable your friend to open, and view your pictures. It is suitable for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP.

click here

muddypaws 18:45 07 Aug 2003

anchor. Thanks. Any comment on not closing a CDR. I read in a mag. that leaving a CDR open for further burning makes it incompatible with other players.

anchor 19:08 07 Aug 2003

I cannot give you a definitive answer, but can only say that "open" CD-R`s, made on my Evesham desktop, read without problem on my Toshiba notebook.

Similarly, the same CD-R`s read OK on my cousins PC World desktop. Open CD-R`s made by my friend read fine on my desktop.

That is not to say that some CD-Roms might not have difficulty. However, blank CD-R`s are so cheap nowadays, that if in doubt close them, before sending them to a friend.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017