XP Physical Memory Dump

User-F19B448A-819C-4883-991C282DFCFBDA20 08:45 21 Jun 2003

I have a blue screen problem with my computer. Sometimes on restarting, I get the dreade blue screen up. The message reads 'dumping physical memory to disk' it then counts to 98 and restarts. Why does it do this and do I get rid of this?

AndySD 09:26 21 Jun 2003

XP has encountered a problem. The physical memory dump is supposed to help diagnose this. Is there an error message on the blue screen?

If not try reinstalling the graphics and sound drivers.

jazzypop 12:59 21 Jun 2003

As AndySD says, the memory dump is intended to be used for diagnostic purposes. Unfortunately, you need to be at the PhD level to make any real use of the memory dump file that is created. To change the way XP behaves when it encounters a critical error (as stated above, typically a faulty driver problem), do the following -

Right-click My Computer, select Properties.

In the Advanced tab, under the Startup and Recovery section, press the Settings button.

In the System Failure section under the Write Debugging Information drop down list select 'None'. You also have the option to write a mini-log,as opposed to a full log that you are currently using.

Press OK and Apply until you are back to the desktop - you may be prompted to reboot.

This will not solve the blue-screen problem (the underlying cause is still there), but it speeds up the recovery from the blue-screen tremendously.

Remember that the System Event log will be very helpful in tracking down the cause(s) of your blue-screens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?