XP PC / Printer and W7 wireless laptop

onthelimit 15:55 23 Nov 2010

Situation - XP PC wired to Epson C86 printer and connected to BT Home Hub. Bought a W7 laptop which connects to the Hub OK. Laptop will print if connected by cable to the printer, but nothing over the network. I had an XP netbook with me which connected and printed as usual. Forums seem to suggest that this configuration can cause problems.

Would appreciate advice from anyone who has managed to configure this arrangement successfully.

Woolwell 16:00 23 Nov 2010

Network name the same on laptop and PC?

onthelimit 16:04 23 Nov 2010

Yes, just called 'HOME'

Woolwell 16:09 23 Nov 2010

Is the laptop able to see the contents of the XP PC? Have you tried a ping from one to the other?

T0SH 16:17 23 Nov 2010

File and printer sharing installed on the XP PC with the printer set to Share ?, and as mentioned in the post above the Workgroup name has to be set the same on both machines (the win 7 homegroups feature is not supported on win xp) once all of the above are met with a bit of luck after a short time win 7 may find the shared printer and prompt you for the drivers let it search online usually it will find and install them for you, but if not choose to add the printer on the win 7 pc as a network printer use the browse option to find the XP pc by name expanding it will show the printer for you to select and proceed with the driver install at this point if you have a printer driver CD try using it

cheers HC

onthelimit 16:20 23 Nov 2010

Thanks guys - I can't get there until Thursday, so will try your suggestions then. In the meantime, anyone else have anything to add?

Woolwell 16:25 23 Nov 2010

It's not a driver issue is it? XP/Windows 7?

onthelimit 17:07 23 Nov 2010

Woolwell. I don't think so as the Windows site came up with 'compatible' and implied that a driver for that printer was included in W7.

compumac 17:56 23 Nov 2010

Had similar problem.
Win 7 networking name is Workgroup and not Home. Change the XP PC's to Workgroup and also in sharing that EVERYONE is shown.

onthelimit 20:12 23 Nov 2010

Thanks - another string to my bow when I go!

onthelimit 15:52 26 Nov 2010

Eventually found that printer had to be installed as a Local Printer (even though on a network). Local port had to be set as \\XP PC name\Printer name. All OK now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?