Xp and other software.

number69 18:46 18 Jan 2003
  number69 18:46 18 Jan 2003

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this as it is not really a technical question.
I have xP along with a lot of other software on my computer. I am debating building a new / faster computer and reinstalling all my software on that. The question is how do I stand legally if I sell my old computer with all its software intact but minus the discs which I will retain for my new comuter.

Djohn 18:48 18 Jan 2003

number69, to remain legal all software that is copy write should be removed or handed over with the PC.

Forum Editor 18:49 18 Jan 2003

Because it will effectively mean that you've sold an illegal copy of the software - you only have a single licence for all the software, so you can only use it on one machine.

If you sell a computer you must format the hard drive first - unless you are selling the software licences as well, in which case you must not install the software on another machine.

Brian-336451 20:00 18 Jan 2003

I know you of all people must take the above (correct) line and appreciate that standards must be set.

BUT, it really shows what a mockery all this licence palava is.

In the REAL world I'm sure there are only a handful of people (and probably either well-healed or stiff-collared) that actually purchase TWO programs or licences because they have a desktop and a laptop. (I'm awaiting inbound flak about THAT comment from the morally outraged, but I don't actually KNOW anyone that has purchased an extra copy of ANYTHING).

It is high time that software manufacturers realise this and make a positive allowance for pragmatism. In all honesty, how many times are you using (for example) Word on the desktop and laptop at the same time?

I wish 'commonsense' was more common.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?