XP or Vista for Acer 11.6inch netbook

ttmiller01 23:22 02 Jul 2009

I have a choice to purchase an 11.6inch netbook with 2GB RAM, Z520 1.3GHZ intel atom processor and 250 GB storage with Vista operating system OR a 1GB RAM (expandable to 2), 1.3 GHZ processor with 160GB storage with XP OS.

I've read that vista on a netbook with this type of processor will make it really slow. My primary puropse for a netbook is basic computing: internet and wordprocessing. Is it better to go with the XP and less hardrive?

I value any advice/feeback/opinion.
sincerely,

Forum Editor 00:09 03 Jul 2009

I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook that has 1Gb RAM and 120Gb hard drive. It has a 1.6 GHz N270 Atom processor, and came with Linux Linpus Lite preinstalled.

I took off the Linux and installed Vista Ultimate, and it runs like a dream. It's obviously not as fast as a desktop or laptop, but you don't use these machines for intensive computing - mobile internet access, email, and a few data files is all most people need.

My little Acer is a delight, it's small and light, and the build quality is high. The real winner however, is its display. It has an 8.9" screen on which the display is crystal clear and bright - it's astonishingly good.

ttmiller01 22:06 03 Jul 2009

i do appreciate your response. You are the only one that responded, so i thought i might have posted to the wrong forum. I'm eager to hear about other people's experinces with this. I'm really still unsure about this processor speed at 1.3 ghz. You have a 1.6 GHZ and perhaps this is why vista worked well on your computer?

PO79 13:14 04 Jul 2009

In my opinion, with those specs go for XP. You can always put vista on as a dual boot option to see how it will run later.

ttmiller01 19:19 05 Jul 2009

Thanks, for your response and I think i will go for the xp.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017