XP office can't open Vista office Word files...

Vla3d 02:39 20 Jul 2008

Right so there is Vista and Microsoft Office on my mom's computer, I type out the document on that, send it to my PC, it doesn't open it, concerns are surronding a little theory that if I type out a document on Vista and send it to a company, they won't be able to open it...Even if I save document as a 95 or 98 word file, still won't recognise it...Can abybody suggest anything?

P.S. Vista PC has the full version of Office, my XP one, has expired Office that can only view documents...Thanks!

Forum Editor 08:13 20 Jul 2008

and you save a created document in an earlier Word version format, anyone with Microsoft Office will be able to open it.

Vista has nothing to do with it.

Pine Man 09:55 20 Jul 2008

'my XP one, has expired Office'

Not quite sure what 'expired office' is.

DieSse 14:47 20 Jul 2008

The normal document type fpor Office 2007 is .docx - which cannot be opened by earlier versions of Office.

However there is a converter for .docx files, which when installed in the earlier versions (I've got Office200 for instance, and it works there) allows them to open .docx files.

Or as the FE says, save your documents in .doc format. Same situation with .xlsx files in Excel, and with Powerpoint.

click here

DieSse 10:49 24 Jul 2008

For your XP system you could try Open Office. It's free and the full version, and it's compatible with MSOffice files INCLUDING .docx, if you use this version

click here

It's a tweaked version, which offers better compatability, and is faster to open too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?