xp not responding

conrail 08:41 10 Jul 2008

using xp home, firefox 3, avg8, spybot, adaware,a2squared, pctoolsfirewall+ which comes with threatfire, the last two installed within the last 2 weeks, the pc became unresponsive and very slow, some items refusing to clear from display, ie start, my computer, open the file, go back to my computer using the back key but my computer, and also the start option refused to clear from the display when closed, using ctrl/alt/del showed they had closed, also word refused to open so I did a quick format and reinstall with all the security programs but thats as far as I have got, again start & my computer refuse to clear the display, I cannot install programs as autorun wont work and clicking on them in my compter doesn't activate them, also right clicking on the usb generic mouse doesn't want to know so I cannot go into device manager to check, please help, sorry it's long winded but I hope I have mentioned everything

crosstrainer 08:47 10 Jul 2008

Threat fire and multiple firewalls could be your problem. Try disabling them one at a time to see if it clears the issue.

birdface 09:10 10 Jul 2008

Can you do a system restore from safe mode or last good configuration.

kalignorgna 09:17 10 Jul 2008

micromart and pcadvisor have both said that mutiple AV can cause virus to get onto your system because they counter act one anouther. if I remember right they said that different AVs all use different detection tools to detect virus,mallware,spyware and so on so when runing mutiple AV's they can interfear with one anouther to detremental effects. also it is a bad ideal to have more then one firewall installed and active at once as they conflict a good one to use is commodo firewall plus (free) the bad side is it asks you if you want to allow or deney programs (gets very anoying when installing games/programs from disks)

conrail 09:58 10 Jul 2008

thanks for replies, I will delete pctoolsfirewall+ & threatfire, I saw them recomended in a pc mag, before that I was using windows own firewall,

Davella 10:07 10 Jul 2008

Hi
The problem is the latest Windows update. I have had the same problem In my case it was my Zone Alarm firewall. Theres a work around on their site just been posted there.
click here
Hope this helps.

conrail 11:17 10 Jul 2008

thanks Davella, I had just done the latest windows update when all this started, will keep an eye out for that, I don't have zonealarm on my pc

conrail 12:51 10 Jul 2008

up and running again, thanks to all above, I appreciate your help,
I have uninstalled pctools firewall, threatfire and firefox, which kept going back to log in page of website, could not get past it, also just kept closing down, np problems with ie 7

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?