xp not booting, garbled HDD data. Recovery?

Pelham123 11:43 17 Jul 2008

Thanks for reading this post.

My friends PC running XP home has stopped booting. It was having a few problems, we think FIXMBR was run at some point. It gets to the 'blue bar' loading screen but then just hangs. I plugged the drive into my PC and the HDD is recognised, but says it is 160Gb with only 10Mb data used - but the disk was pretty full. There are only a couple of files on the PC but they have garbled names with odd file extensions ie - bullgu.ard. The original names are split into file and extension.

I have tried 'Recover my Files' commercial program to try and pull off some files. But, like disk manager, it says that there is only 10Mb of files recoverable. There are a lot of precious photos that she has, can anyone say if commercial recovery is possible, or give a clue what I can do? Or what the problem is?

Many thanks

howard64 14:53 17 Jul 2008

I use easeus data recovery prog which has a free download which you can use to look at the drive. If it appears able to see the missing files then you can pay for the prog to recover the data. They offer a money back guarantee if you fail to recover the data. I have used it on 2 external disks that had appeared to lose everything reporting that the disk was not formatted and recovered everything.

Pelham123 03:49 20 Jul 2008

An information post. The disk file system/boot sector was corrupted, with the help of this:

click here

an excellent open source utility we were able to repair the boot sector/file system, mount the drive and recover photos.

alexendar124 08:19 18 Aug 2008

I have used Stellar Phoenix data recovery software.It provides robust and powerful recovery solution.You can try this software to recover your data.It is very easy to use and supports all the operating system like, Windows,Unix,Linux,Novell, Macintosh and so on.Download the software from
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie