XP - no shortcuts or start button on desktop

Pineman100 14:50 06 Jan 2011

My sister just called me for help. Her old XP computer seems to have a complete desktop failure. She's the other side of the country, so I can only explain what she has told me.

When she boots up, the computer boots directly into a Windows Explorer screen, with My Computer highlighted. If she closes this, she gets her desktop wallpaper, but no sign of shortcuts, taskbar or Start button.

I've told her to hover her cursor over the bottom edge of the screen, but the taskbar still doesn't appear - ditto the three other edges. I've told her to right-click on the desktop, but no menu appears.

She is only able to turn off the computer by doing Ctrl/Alt/Delete and then shutting down via the Task Manager.

Any ideas on how she can get her desktop shortcuts and Start button/menu back, please?

gengiscant 14:52 06 Jan 2011

Try this:
Go to the following site, scroll down to # 195, then click on "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"...download & run the file click here

Pineman100 15:03 06 Jan 2011

Many thanks but when I click your link, I just a blank screen that says "Service unavailable".

Pineman100 15:16 06 Jan 2011

I've got to that kellys-korner page via another route.

Many thanks gengiscant - I'll get my sister to try it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:17 06 Jan 2011

Ctrl + Alt+ Del to bring up task manager
File - New Task(Run) - type

sfc /scannow (remember the space between c and /)

click OK

and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Pineman100 15:26 06 Jan 2011

When I open that kellys-korner web page and click on your recommended item, I get a window that asks if I want to save a VBSscript file. This is somewhat above my pay grade!

Is this an executable file? Should my sister download the file and then double-click on it, to run it?

Apologies for my ignorance!

Pineman100 15:29 06 Jan 2011

The problem is that my sister doesn't have an XP CD. There seems to have been a restore sector on her HDD at one time, but apparently her local computer "repair" man has cocked it up.

Does that make an sfc /scannow repair impossible?

GaT7 15:31 06 Jan 2011

I can confirm that that site is well-trusted, so it shouldn't be a problem.

It also gives info about the warning & is honest to say it will make changes to the registry:

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.

Set a System Restore point before running. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:36 06 Jan 2011

Not if she has a i386 folder on the hard drive

worth trying anyway.

Pineman100 15:43 06 Jan 2011

Thanks for the information Crossbow7.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - thanks again. I'll tell her to give it a try. I'll report back when she's done it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?