XP New Instal not functioning correctly

AlanHo 16:23 24 Oct 2008

A friend asked me to help solve a problem with his 5 year old Fujitsu Siemens Windows XP desktop computer. It kept freezing, not responding to mouse clicks and suddemly closing down on its own.

I tried various things including a full malware scan and clean up, dust removal inside case, check for loose components etc - but the problem remained. I decided to get back to basics - swapped the hard drive (IDE ATA133) for a spare one I knew to be perfect and used the Fujitsu Siemens recovery disc to format the drive and instal a clean copy of XP.

This went OK but upon booting the computer still shows errant mouse behaviour. Sometimes it will not respond to a mouse click - but if I just open and close task manager, without doing anything with it, the mouse comes to life again. A permanent problem is that the desktop icons cannot be moved - they jump back to their original position (even though the desktop settings are correct)and icons cannot be dragged into the quick launch taskbar.

I have tried 3 diffrent mouses - both USB and PS2 without success and have re-installed XP yet again in case the original installation was corrupted. I have even tried using a retail XP CD to install XP from an independent source - but the same behaviour continues.

It would therefore appear to be a problem with the computer - rather than with the XP software - but having changed the hard drive I am stumped what it could be.

Any ideas...?

@[email protected]!c 16:28 24 Oct 2008

you might want to try a ps/2 to usb adapter for the mouse and try that, just in case the mouse port is down. or try another mouse perhaps..kind regards akanic

@[email protected]!c 16:29 24 Oct 2008

sorry but overlooked that you tried other mouses/mice :)

@[email protected]!c 16:30 24 Oct 2008

and ps/2 sorry i just jumped straight in on this without reading the full thread...sorry :( kind regards akanic

baldydave 16:32 24 Oct 2008

Hi,
have you ran a memory test such as memtest86 or microsoft test found here
click here
or
click here
Also have you got a spare PSU you could try,these could be the problems causing freezing /shutdowns and can also affect the mouse.

AlanHo 12:19 25 Oct 2008

Problem now resolved.

Although the hard drive was taken from an external USB drive used for back-ups on another computer and working perfectly - I ran chkdsk which found and fixed a bad block.

The computer is now running perfectly - so it was the hard drive after all.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017