XP needs activation even though it is genuine!

CurlyWhirly 07:25 13 Jan 2007

I have just rebooted my PC after downloading and installing the latest security updates - there were 3 in total.

A Windows Defender update, an update for IE7 and the Malicious software removal tool.

When I rebooted I got a message saying that due to the large number of hardware changes, I need to activate my copy of Windows.

The only recent hardware change was a few days ago when I changed from a Billion router to a SpeedTouch 585 wireless router after reading that it works better on long lines like mine.

The activation failed saying that I have installed XP on more than one PC which isn't true!

A similar thing happened before when I had to ring a Microsoft customer service rep and she gave me a product key which I successfully entered over the phone.

Does anyone know what number this was?
I think it was a freephone number.

I would ring the 0870 number (despite the cost) but according to the message contact hours are between 9am and 5pm monday to friday and I would like to get this issue sorted out NOW otherwise my O/S might stop working all together :(

I think Microsoft's anti-piracy stance is being a little OTT as this is the THIRD time I have had to activate it.

The first time was expected as it was the day I installed XP and then there was the second time where I had to ring a Microsoft rep but now I have to do the same and it's rather annoying.

Any advice on what to do please?

By the way my copy of XP Home *is* legit as I still have the original CD and packaging, product key and even receipt.

Cheers

brundle 07:26 13 Jan 2007

0800 018 8354

brundle 07:27 13 Jan 2007

I took a screenshot of my new product key last time I had to call, in case it works the next time.

CurlyWhirly 07:32 13 Jan 2007

Thanks for the freephone number :)

I never took a screenshot of the new product key I was given last time and I wish I had now :(

CurlyWhirly 07:39 13 Jan 2007

That was a hassle as I could no longer enter the 6 digit grouping as it is no longer displayed on my screen as it failed the last time!

I eventually got through to a Microsoft rep after failing (through no fault of my own) to enter the codes via the telephone but was told to ring back in 15-20 minutes LOL

CurlyWhirly 08:09 13 Jan 2007

I was worried for a minute there but when I called back the rep gave me a new product key and this now works.

It was alarming for me because the last time it happened (a few years ago), I didn't get that message that I had XP installed on another PC which, of course, I don't.

menorcarob2 12:00 13 Jan 2007

the screenshot may not be any use as xp generates a different number each time, ie the number you have to give to them. before they give you the activation code.

CurlyWhirly 13:32 13 Jan 2007

click here

I came across the above link and it seems that as I have upgraded my RAM on 2 occasions, added a DVD writer last year, upgraded my graphics card a few times and changed from a USB modem to a router twice (which would alter the hash of the MAC address of my network adapter i.e. 8) this is what prompted the activation feature.

menorcarob2 - yes you could well be right that the product key is different every time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?