XP with multiple cd / dvd drives

Rogerfredo 16:41 23 Mar 2005

My PC has 2 CD rewriter drives and 1 DVD writer drive.
When I back up a CD using the 2 CD writers (1 to read the original and 1 to record ), I have to be careful not to place the new CD media in the drive before Nero requests it, or the PC hangs, and a reset is necessary.
I presume the drive is trying to read the blank media when it is inserted, so I have tried to remove the "autoplay" function from both drives.
But Windows Media player is still loaded so the autoplay is still in operation.
Anyone know where I am going wrong?

Dorsai 18:16 23 Mar 2005

By not following the instructions, and inserting the disk before being asked. :wink:

If it did not matter when you put the disk in, why would Nero tell you it was now time to put the disk in?

IMHO

Fingees 18:20 23 Mar 2005

As CD's can be both read and written using DVD writers, why not remove one of the cd writers. XP is not designed to take more than two on it's IDE layout.

Rogerfredo 18:38 23 Mar 2005

Thanks Dorsai, but in fact I don't insert the disc until the "burn" screen comes up (where it specifies which drive is used for each purpose).
If I insert the disc at this point, the PC hangs.
If I start the burn without inserting the disc (which seems illogical), a message pops up indicating no media present, and I then insert the disc.This works, but there can be a message which states that there may be a fault in the lead in info, which does not seem to be the way this should work.
I am sure that Windows Media 9 used to work correctly.
Fingees, I have an additional card containing further IDE drive connections, and have never seen any indication that this is against XP policy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017