XP and missing DLLs

dms05 12:38 29 Sep 2007

I have had XP and PCLinuxOS 2007 sharing my HDD for many months. Today XP refuses to boot and initially returns an error 'missing systen32/hal.dll'. I checked from my Linux partition and hal.dll is missing so I used Linux to download hal.dll and unzipped to my windows/system32 file. I checked and it's there.

Now I have a more general message saying 'report problem: load needed dlls for kernel'.

I've tried to load system32/restore/rstrui.exe but as I'm not getting any XP cursor I can't.

The only XP I have is the original ones supplied by Acer and a very old upgrade original disk for when I went W98 to XP years ago.

Linux boots and runs 100% and I can use it to fully investigate the HDD.

Any ideas on how to regain access to XP?

Eric10 12:46 29 Sep 2007

There is help on hal.dll problems on this site. click here. However, I don't know enough about Linux to advise on whether some of the fixes may affect your Linux boot.

dms05 13:49 29 Sep 2007

Thanks for the response. I had already seen your link but all the advice assumes you can begin the XP booting installation. However mine fails at the very beginning and I can't even get a cursor. So I'm essentially locked out.

Can anyone suggest a rescue disk that may allow me to at least get into the XP partiton and effect a repair?

dms05 16:08 29 Sep 2007

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?