XP - messed up installation - HELP!!

Camille 12:45 04 Apr 2004

In an attempt to fix my broken pc (before we all realised it was the keyboard!), a friend decided to install XP Pro, as he thought my existing 98SE O/S was corrupt.
All seemed fine, until I tried to install my copy of Nero when I was told I had to uninstall the existing Nero app. However, add/remove only saw the 2 apps I had loaded since XP. On looking in the programs folder, I was dismayed to see all the programs that were on the pc before installing XP. However - I can't access or remove them because windows doesn't see them.

Do I really have to reformat etc - or can i just delete them from the registry?

holly polly 12:58 04 Apr 2004

did you do a upgrade to xp pro or was it a clean install did you choose the ntfs file system in xp pro?if so that is why windows cannot see your previous apps as the file format is fat ,i think the only way is a reformat ,though some one else may have an idea -good luck -hol pol....

Camille 13:04 04 Apr 2004

Unfortunately - I don't know what my friend did, although he seemed to know what he was doing at the time! Clean install seemed so complicated, I was happy to let him do it. Clearly, I should have just bitten the bullet and had a go myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?