XP MCE PCI Tv-Tuner Won't Work

gubbyrichie 17:15 17 Feb 2010

I have a HP Pavilion Media Centre PC, currently running XP SP3 and updates. It came with HP interface, a software package through which there is access to various utilities that come with XP. MCE worked fine until C Drive crashed and I had to have new disc installed. I asked the installer to use the HP Recovery Discs I had made but they didn’t work. What he did instead was to load XP SP3 and updates. Since then MCE couldn’t find the TV-Tuner. I bought a cheap digital TV stick that I can get freeview on fine. I use an external antenna mounted in the loft from which I get good pictures on my digital tv with a feed via a splitter to either the TV tuner card or the stick. I decided to try a BlackGold PCI card because I wanted the convenience of the MCE software. However, when I tried to load the drivers only the analogue drivers would work. The driver install wizard wouldn’t recognise the digital driver for ?unknown device in Device Manager. I got back to the vendor support and BlackGold support. The latter suggested the on board code might be out of date so I exchanged the card but the same problem recurs. I think the problem lies with the HP interface or the absence of it. The bois still has some HP software in it. I used to have a partition on D Drive called E drive, that was a recovery drive but was lost.

I think the problem is to do with the absence of the HP interface software. Has anyone come across this problem? Does anyone know how to solve it. I am reluctant to spend £33 on a set of HP recovery discs without any guarantee that that will solve the problem.

john bunyan 17:31 17 Feb 2010

See here:
click here

Jollyjohn 20:05 17 Feb 2010

When I recently upgraded motherboard and cpu and then reinstalled WXP MCE I made the mistake of going to SP3 before getting the Pinnacle Dual Tuner card installed.

I reformatted, installed WXP MCE SP2, .net framework, pinnacle software then set up media centre guide etc - all working - restore point created then updated to sp3 - so far so good.

I dont have windows set up automatically install upgrades as it appears to knock out the guide which then crashes when trying to edit so I have to do a rescan for the tv setup.

Good luck

gubbyrichie 17:21 20 Feb 2010

Thanks a lot for your advice. I tried it, had problems with de-installing SP3 but successfully used method 2 recommended by Mocrosoft but I still couldn't install the BlackGold drivers from my desktop. The driver install wizard just wouldn't recognise them. Any other suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?