xp lost in hardrive failure

  stormrider123 16:25 31 Jul 2010

I Have a Compaq pc witch used to run windows xp service pack 2 but recently my hardrive died and I lost my windows xp installation since my compaq came with a hidden partition to repair windows I dont have a cd i cant install xp on my new hardrive.

since i still have a product key i was wondering if i could borrow a disk from someone and use the product key i have to install windows onto to my new hardrive
could someone tell me if this is possible and if it is where about can i find an xp installation disk

any help would be apreciated

  woodchip 16:43 31 Jul 2010

if its the same version yes you can use the key. if its Home version, that's what you would need not Pro etc

  johndrew 16:47 31 Jul 2010

You are also likely to need some drivers for graphics cards etc. If so start here click here

  stormrider123 16:48 31 Jul 2010

if i call Microsoft would they supply me with a disk for free if i say i have a product key already

  DieSse 16:52 31 Jul 2010


  stormrider123 17:23 31 Jul 2010

so where can i get a disk apart from my friends

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 31 Jul 2010
  stormrider123 17:32 31 Jul 2010

its £149 pounds is there anywhere cheaper

although i dont have the money if i did i wouldnt waste it on xp i would go ahead and purchase windows 7 instead

  onthelimit 18:23 31 Jul 2010

I picked one up from ebay for £20. Here's some examples click here

  DieSse 20:46 31 Jul 2010

If you borrow one from a friend it won't affect them in any way - as long as you give it back ;-))

Then do a backup image of your finished installation, and you'll be covered for the future.

  lotvic 21:09 31 Jul 2010

Are you sure your harddrive has failed? What symptoms makes you think it has failed?
It might be something else and not harddrive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?