xp locks up when using cd or dvd

chorlton 15:29 25 Jun 2004

When ever you remove and re-insert a cd or DVD the operating system will hang. The hardware will continue to function, (the cd/dvd will eject etc)
I have changed drives, memory, motherboard and carried out all BIOS updates to motherboard and Drives as well as the windows updates.
Still the same problem, if anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 16:33 25 Jun 2004

Not sure about it - try the system file checker:

start

run

sfc /scannow

And clear out temp files etc.

chorlton 18:17 25 Jun 2004

Tried that it doesn't help.
I think I will have to reinstall XP and see if that fixes it. But I would rather find out what is causing the problem.
Thanks for the suggestion

Diodorus Siculus 18:41 25 Jun 2004

When you changed the motherboard did you not reinstall windows?

chorlton 21:27 25 Jun 2004

no,
Same chipset, drives, memory etc.
Just uninstall previous drivers, just in case and then install drivers for new motherboard, and updated them.
Then reactivate windows as required.

harps1h 21:38 25 Jun 2004

have you added any new software?

chorlton 22:13 25 Jun 2004

no, software is exactly the same as before, the problem first showed up after installing two DVD-rw (LG gsa 4081 & 4082) but now it shows up with any dvd or CD drive.

chorlton 14:51 05 Aug 2004

In case anyone cares, This problem was resolved by replacing the drives with Plextors. These have slightly different custom drivers which replace the existing MS ones. I received no resolution from MS or LG. Ho Hum

harps1h 18:35 05 Aug 2004

good to see it was sorted. tick the resolved box so everyone knpws that it is done

harps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?