XP licence key question

rômanab 12:57 26 Mar 2006

I am about to re-install win XP for a friend on a Time PC but after checking the licence key with Belarc and winkeyfinder I find that the key shown is different to the one on his XP sticker on the back of his box?? Which one should I use?

It IS legit.

Methedrine 13:16 26 Mar 2006

If one doesn't work, try the other.

rômanab 13:23 26 Mar 2006

Well I was more concerned about activation, if I choose wrong will it activate.

AaNnDdYy 13:26 26 Mar 2006

should be ok

rômanab 13:35 26 Mar 2006

I'll give it a go then.

Cheers

bjh 16:09 26 Mar 2006

Companies like Time normally install hard drives in a batch, and they use their own legal Windows key; Windows is pre-activated. They attach a sticker to the case that is the unique key for that issue of Windows. So, when you do a reinstall, you should use the key that is on the label. I'd recommend always keeping a record of the installed code for posterity... it may help in any explanation to a Microsoft telephone operator should manual activation be the way forward - it's a good indication of the original source of the machine

woodchip 16:15 26 Mar 2006

They two key's are as a result of the above one key for restore disc and one for OEM disc. That's what it is with mine as I have both

rômanab 17:48 26 Mar 2006

All done :o)

Well, all except activation but he can do that.

I used the key off his sticker in the end as that seemed the logical option, I did also make a note of the other just in case.

Thanks again everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone