xp legal copy my own can i put on sons pc in same

frankie 16:31 03 Nov 2005

xp legal copy my own can i put on sons pc in same house his pc has no internet access just to be used as word procesor photo viewer etc but if i do it it will need activation i know i can do activation by phone but basically am i allowed to use mine on his?thanks

Zaphod Beeblebro 16:35 03 Nov 2005

if the copy of xp is already installed on one machine
legaly you cannot put i on a second the license agreement prohibits this

however if it is a retail copy not installed on any other machines it shouldnt be a problem

mammak 16:39 03 Nov 2005

Hi frankie,
couldnt't say for sure but I wouldnt have thought so, One windows one hard drive I think?
but I am sure someone will be able to give you the right and proper proceedure.
Regards Mammak.

Strawballs 16:39 03 Nov 2005

If that is all your son will be using it for why not put 98se on it as you can pick up copies of this really cheeply

frankie 16:45 03 Nov 2005

havent got 98se i know there cheap but i have my xp pro disc thanks for reponse,just wanted to check on the legality its a old pc so not going to spend nothing on it its got win 98 on it but he is used to using my xp on my pc

PaulB2005 16:46 03 Nov 2005

Buy an XP upgrade disk then.

alan227 18:15 03 Nov 2005

Why buy another OS when you can download for free any number of Linux operating systems which will do all that your son wants.

Doire_Bhoy 18:19 03 Nov 2005

Its illegal yes, but you can still do it (you are breaking the law though) ;-)

RickH0684 18:22 03 Nov 2005

Yes, as Doire_Bhoy said, its illegal however the likelihod that any legal action would be taken against yourself I believe is minimal, Microsoft are out to catch people that are distributing this and are seriously hurting their bank balance. However you're installing it again within 1 household.

Done it myself however have since bought a new computer and now have a legitimate copy,

Hope this helps,

ACOLYTE 19:02 03 Nov 2005

It would need to be validated after 30 days or would stop working,so if you ring up MS,as the pc is not online they may know its been insalled on another pc,you could lie and say you got another pc,dunno if that would work.

wee eddie 19:13 03 Nov 2005

is "Activation"

When you load XP it has to be Activated within 30 days of first use.

This can be done over the Net on on the Telephone.

Your copy of XP will have a number on the Packaging. This you give to M$ and they read you back the Activation Code.

If you install XP over W98se and then fail to activate XP. You will have to Format the system to reload W98se, as it will not load over XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache