XP Keyboard and Mouse hang at boot

Boffin Boy 14:41 01 Jul 2005

Hello,
Simply my problem is that my mouse and keyboard stops responding when my computer is started into xp pro. I have tried repairing my windows installation and the same thing happens at setup.

I know that the problem is nothing to do with the mouse and k/board itself as I have tried replacing them. However I believe that it is something to do with the fact that I used PartitionMagic recently. The mouse and k/board still work on my xp home and 98 partitions (which is strange), and I think that it may just be a corrupted file (although I don't know which).

After 3pm I may not be able to access the internet so sorry if I don't respond if you leave me a message after then.

Thanks, The Boff.

ACOLYTE 14:47 01 Jul 2005

Have you tried reinstalling the software for the mouse/keyboard?

Boffin Boy 14:48 01 Jul 2005

The mouse and k/board never came with software, and doesn't windows cater for this already anyway?

Thanks though.

Boffin Boy 14:56 01 Jul 2005

Will have to call this off in a sec!!! Any last second solutions??????

Thanks!!!

Boffin Boy 15:01 01 Jul 2005

Thanks, but got to go now!!
If I get back online tonight will tell you if I succeded.

Bye.

ACOLYTE 15:02 01 Jul 2005

Windows may already cater for it,but most come with a CD with drivers especially the media keyboards and mice that allow you to use the hot keys and program buttons,then you could check for driver updates online only other thing is disconecting them and letting windows detect them again especially if they are USB type.

HTH

Boffin Boy 14:32 08 Jul 2005

Hello,
Sorry that I haven't got back to this post in a long time, but anyway I have solved the problem now! In the end I was forced to format the machine, thought that I had backed up OK and ended up losing most of my documents from the past 2 months (which wasn't too bad). Anyway alls well that ends well... Both machines now work a lot better and could have done with being formatted anyway.

Note to anyone else... Be very careful when using PartitionMagic!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?