XP keeps rebooting when Shut Down Selected

legalrep 09:23 20 Jan 2007

Hope someone can help with this strange one, last night I went to shut down my xp pro system as I always do but it rebooted rather than shut down. This happens every time now! The only things I have done is download a 3 day pass to a game on Steam called Day of Defeat, we also had power cuts here during the day, I have a surge protector so I don't think this could have caused the problem. I've read an earlier post which identified Roxio has a possible cause. I have this on my system but never had this problem till last night! Any help would be great.

VoG II 09:26 20 Jan 2007
  legalrep 10:24 20 Jan 2007

Thanks Vog had a look through but nothing seems to help I've used system restore back a week but still the same. I was interested in the bit about usb connections one thing I do remeber was leaving my tom tom connected when shutting down a few times but I'm not sure that could be causing the problem.

legalrep 11:24 20 Jan 2007

System also keeps rebooting from safe mode any one have any ideas getting desperate know!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:27 20 Jan 2007

Shutdown problems

click here
click here

legalrep 13:42 20 Jan 2007

Vog/Fruit Bat sorted it out, turned out to be a virus! trusty old AVG helped me out in the end, but thanks for your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017