xp keeps rebooting before logon

Sluggard 17:03 24 Sep 2003

for a couple of days when starting my PC I got a message stating that the system had just recovered from a serious fault. After using it I couldn't close down a program (Nero 5.5) and it locked I had to turn off the machine without closing windows. Now when starting with either safe mode, last recent setting or normal start,windows starts to load but before I get the blue login page it starts to reboot.
I have read Microsoft KB 310396 which mentions a missing or damaged file Kernel32.dll and tried to follow their suggestions using my recover disk & Recovery Console. However when I try to type the given commands at the prompt I get a message "the path or file specified is not valid". I have tried C:\DIR at the prompt and then get a message "an error occured during directory enumeration". When I first start up I do get a warning that my hard drive is about to pack up and I should save my work but I'm not convinced that it's the HD.

Rayuk 18:10 24 Sep 2003

Download hard drive diagnostic tool from manufacturers website and run it,that way you will know whether it is the hard drive or not

barnacarry 18:42 24 Sep 2003

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks after installing xp and the only way I cleared it was by put the installation disk in D drive and letting it re-install itself.

Sluggard 00:54 25 Sep 2003

Thanks guys but the only problem is how can I download & run a diagnostic test when the computer isn't working and if I let it reinstall windows won't all my stuff be lost? Maybe I'm missing something!

Rayuk 17:15 25 Sep 2003

You use the diagnostic tool via floppy disk on startup via dos.

Sluggard 18:53 25 Sep 2003

Thanks Ray I have visited Maxtor site for download but they state that if used all data will be lost. Although this may be inevitable I'm hoping & praying for little data loss as I have not backed up recently! Some people never learn do they!!!!!

Sluggard 22:50 23 Oct 2003

Mesh fitted new HD lost all info, lesson to be learnt!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?