XP issues explained further

hoopschick 19:36 05 Jul 2005

Right, my dad can't set up his Outlook Express, so I went onto Microsoft.com and they said to go to Start / Run and type in sfc /scannow. I did this, I got a message saying summat like 'files to make window work correctly need to be copied to summat.dll, Insert XP Home Disc. I can't find this disc anywhere and I really need to get this done before my dad gets back. I have got XP Professional but it says it should only be used on Dell computers. Will it cause problems or should I just install it?

Graham ® 19:39 05 Jul 2005

Please respond in the original thread. You don't need to start a new subject.

VoG II 19:40 05 Jul 2005

If you insert it when SFC prompts for it, it will either work or it won't. I can't see that it will do any harm.

VoG II 19:40 05 Jul 2005

Previous thread. click here

Completealias 19:43 05 Jul 2005

It won't work as its looking for an xp home disk have a look in your hard drive and look for a folder named I386 if you have this folder might be located under c:\i386 or on my pc its c:\wndows\I386

I you have this folder then you can make your own xp disk from those files following the instructions from click here use a rewritable disk if you have one to avoid making costers

hoopschick 20:01 05 Jul 2005

Completealias

I don't really understand computer speak. Do I need to copy both the I386 and the BCD Full Package onto a disc?
Sorry to be so dense

lotvic 23:38 05 Jul 2005

it is best not to mess your dad's pc up. Do you have his permission to be doing what you are to his pc?

Completealias 03:12 06 Jul 2005

No need to apologise took me a couple of goes

Ok the method goes as follows

Download the bcd full package and unzip it to a folder that you've made eg c:\bcd

Also download the nero aspi file and place it into the folder c:\bcd\bin

Next download the win xp package and unzip it then open that folder and copy those files in the folder into c:\bcd

You now need to copy the i386 folder into the folder c:\bcd\cds\wxphome\files (make sure you copy don't move them!!)

Do a search for these files win51ic and win51ip if you find either copy these into the last location above

Ok now open a command prompt (start run and type cmd press enter) and change to the folder bcd so for the instructions above at the command prompt type cd\ press enter then type cd bcd press enter you should now be in the bcd folder now type bcd wxphome

This should now start to build your xp cd for you if you have any problems post back and I will try and help if you can note down any errors if you get them it will help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?