XP installation problem, Hard drive not booting

BlessedMan 12:30 08 Oct 2007

I created a new partition as part of XP installation. after the formatting completed the PC the HD will not boot and hangs.With the XP installation disc after the message Setup is checking your computers hardware configuration I get a black screen and the system hangs. I cannot access the drive to continue the XO installaion.

gardener 13:30 08 Oct 2007

Are you sure the partition is formatted (NTFS or FAT32)? Do you have more than one partition?

BlessedMan 13:42 08 Oct 2007

its formatted NTFS and created 1 partition

stylehurst 13:51 08 Oct 2007

Did you make the partition active?

BlessedMan 14:03 08 Oct 2007

I was not able to, after the formatting the drive the PC attempted to reboot and I have not been able to do anything with the drive since

gardener 14:41 08 Oct 2007

Can you access the BIOS setup? Check to see if the drive is recognized. Also check the jumper settings on the drive.

gardener 14:55 08 Oct 2007

Set the drive jumper to the cable select position, there should be a label on the drive which indicates the various jumper settings.

BlessedMan 16:07 08 Oct 2007

Thanks gardener, I have done this what I get now is message saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device".

I put the CD in and ran CHKDSK and BOOTCFG /Scan, there were no found problems. Should I try FIXBOOT?

BlessedMan 16:09 08 Oct 2007

stylehurst, what do I do to make the partition active if it is not already active

gardener 16:34 08 Oct 2007

I'm running out of ideas now.Is the drive recognized in the BIOS? Try switching the jumper to the 'master'setting

gardener 16:38 08 Oct 2007

I wouldn't use FIXBOOT unless you know what you're doing, it can create worse problems in some instances.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?