XP installation issues on Compaq Presario C71

Solvaworld1 14:39 29 Dec 2010

Hi

I recently bought a Compaq Presario Laptop from a friend. The problem is it has Windows 7 Alienware installed as the OS and I cant stand it.

I am trying to install XP Pro SP2 over the top. However when I boot from the XP disk once it has loaded all the tools and drivers it blue screens as soon as the stauts goes to starting windows.

I did some research and apparantly it may have something to do with the RAM as XP does install with anything over 3GB. So I opened up the laptop and removed 2 of the 4 GB but I still have the same problem.

I also read that I may need to change the HDD compatibility settings in the Bios however there is no field in which to do this in the Bios.

As I mentioned the Laptop is a Compaq Presario

Intel Duel Core 2GB processor and has 4 gb now 2gb of ram. The OS is Windows 7 Alienware but in the Bios it says the machine was initially loaded with Visa.

Any help woudl be gladly received. Im totally stuck now.

Terry Brown 14:50 29 Dec 2010

You cannot downgrade from Window 7 or Vista to XP , only upgrade from XP to Windows 7 or Vista.

If you wish to install XP on your system, you will have to do a full format and completly wipe the hard drive, before you can commence.

XP can use (I believe) 3.4GB of memory, however if you have more memory installed it will not do any harm.

As you have 4gb of memory I assume this is a 32bit machine, and 4gb is the maximum that a 32 bit machine can use.

I hope this helps

Terry

Solvaworld1 14:55 29 Dec 2010

Hi,

Yes I know I cannot downgrade, I am trying to do a full format and boot from the XP disc. Thats why as I said once it has booted from disk and it starts copying files thats when it blue screens.

I read somewhere that XP cant use 4Gb which is why I removed to GB. I believe changing my HDD compatilibity to or from SATA may help, but there is no option to this in my bios.

Solvaworld1 14:57 29 Dec 2010

Also I am pretty sure it is a 64 bit machine

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:57 29 Dec 2010

What is the stop error number - that will tell us why its BSOD?

Solvaworld1 14:58 29 Dec 2010

No your right it is 32 bit if that makes any difference

Solvaworld1 15:00 29 Dec 2010

Ok let me run it I will let you know in a sec

Solvaworld1 15:05 29 Dec 2010

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0X0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000

It also says check for virus and remove any new hardware etc and run CHKDSK/ Which I have done on the C drive anyway, not sure why its pointing to the F drive

woodchip 16:28 29 Dec 2010

Do you have the Drivers for all the Hardware? before Removing 7. If not you may be in for some big problems.

woodchip 16:28 29 Dec 2010

XP drivers that is

Solvaworld1 16:33 29 Dec 2010

Yes I have all the drivers

Is this project actually feasable?

I have been searching high and low for the sata drivers as this may be the problem but I cant find them even on the HP website. It seems I have the latest bios update

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?