xp install disaster HELP HELP

Nessie 08:57 27 Sep 2003

Hi all.
I have 2 hd of 40gb each.On the master C: drive I had win98 on one partition. On the second hd I had 3 partitions all formatted with one having data on it, the rest are blank. I was installing xp onto the second drive but eveything froze. I left it for about 30 min but the computer was doing nothing so I switched off and on again. My big problem is that now my pc is dead. When I press the power button the green power light comes on the hd light comes on and both stay on constantly. The dvd light comes on and it searches, it but I had changed the bios to boot from cd. This is all that happens it does not boot at all, dead as a dodo. Even if I could get it to boot that would be a start. I can not get into bios setup, the monitor does not come on and it does not check the floppy. HELP PLEASE. I am about to go to work but some helpful posts would be great and i will be on again tonight.

graham√ 09:53 27 Sep 2003

I suggest you disconnect the slave drive and try to boot. If you set the bios to boot only from CD, you may have to boot with the 98 CD. There is a risk of losing data, but if that is the only way...

Nessie 19:09 27 Sep 2003

any other help. Please

Nessie 19:21 27 Sep 2003

first suggestion not working. reads cd but hd light stays on and monitor stays on standby. help obviously stuck in boot file.

Nessie 23:45 27 Sep 2003

anyone

Geoff_T 23:50 27 Sep 2003

If it is trying to boot from the CD first, have you tried starting it with the Windows XP disc in the CD?

Nessie 00:01 28 Sep 2003

yes

wildrover 00:26 28 Sep 2003

Have you tried booting from the xp cd with both drives connected as they were when you started?

Nessie 21:09 28 Sep 2003

yes, i have tried

Ironman556 23:02 28 Sep 2003

Can you boot from floppy? Maybe you can re-write the MBR, not sure how though.

Also if you can boot from a floppy you can format again.

You have 2 OS's on 2 drives? Try disconnecting one and set the other to master, then try it the other way, you'll find out which disk is working ok then.

Ironman556 23:03 28 Sep 2003

Ah forgot to say, don't forget to change the jumpers on the HDD's. If you need data off so you can fully reformat stick the drive as a slave in a friends PC and get the data onto CDR. Then Re-install from scratch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache