XP + IE + other users accessing websites

phil 20:20 24 Mar 2004

I have been using XP for some time now and around the turn of the year found that other users on my set-up, myself +3 other family members, started having trouble getting websites to load.

Well, it wasn't me, the IE on my side was perfect it was just when someone else logged onto their desktop.

Their homepage would load up but if they clicked a link to open a new window it would just produce a blank page.

This also happened with Google. You type in a search term and it just opens a blank window.
The same with emails. Click a link in an email and you would get the same result.

I asked this question on here when it first happened and was advised to go into 'run' and input a load of dll's.

This never did work so I decided, with the arrival of a new hard drive last month to do a clean install.

Now you're reading my mind!!

It still happens. Everyone is an admin now, before it was just me, but I still have the identical problems.

I have been in touch with Google and they gave the usual answers. Clear the history, change the security settings, etc + re-install IE. I can't because it's on the XP disc.

I have a feeling that this could have been caused by a Windows update, but which one is it.

When I re-installed I first saved all my updates to a CD and put them back on after the install had finished. Would it be worthwhile taking them all off and downloading fresh ones, one at a time? It could take forever testing each one first.

Any other ideas before I take drastic action.

anon1 20:31 24 Mar 2004

do you have cookies enabled?

phil 20:49 24 Mar 2004

Yes, but I think it goes deeper than that.

woodt 21:01 24 Mar 2004

TO repair IE on XP try here

click here

phil 21:50 24 Mar 2004

I did what it said:

To repair or reinstall Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP, complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator:
Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

I did the scan now bit and a dos window flashed on briefly and then vanished. Was it supposed to do that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?