XP Home Vs Vista Basic

Tim1964 09:41 03 Mar 2007

I'm looking at a new base unit in the 'budget' range. One I've seen comes with Vista Basic and others with XP Home with the other specs the same. I am using Win98 on an 8 yr old machine at the mo' so anything will be an improvement.

My question is, would I be better off going for a Vista Basic or an XP unit seeing that XP is proven and the basic Vista might be TOO basic?

I'm not bothered about the AERO interface and any overly fancy 'whistles and bells' but I'm not sure what else is missing from the Premium version that I would actually use/need.

Thanks,

Fingees 10:11 03 Mar 2007

It depends what your budget is.

I recently purchased a barebones unit, and an OEM Vista Premium, as the basic was too basic.

The oem cost £69 from Novatech when bought with the barebones.

I have found it far better than XP home.

Hope this helps.

terryf 10:26 03 Mar 2007

Opinions vary but XP has been going longer than vista, more programs are tried and 'tested' with XP, hardware drivers are more available for XP than Vista. If you don't need the overly fancy 'whistles and bells' perhaps you should stick with XP and Open Office (which is free)

Nellie2 11:26 03 Mar 2007

Vista Home Basic has all the security features plus the desktop search and a whole lot more. click here

It will be a big jump going from W98 to XP... so why not leap just that little bit further and do Vista

Tim1964 12:51 03 Mar 2007

Thanks for the replies....

I thought it might be a bit late to jump onto the XP bandwagon now :) even though it's a big wagon.

The general consensus does seem to be to wait for the bugs in Vista to be ironed out first.

I'm stating to have 'issues' now with some progs not updating as they no longer support Win98 but I guess the support for XP has a while to go yet.

jam500 16:02 03 Mar 2007

You might be able to get a pc with xp installed and a voucher or something that they are offering to upgrade to vista at a later date.

bigtrev 20:04 03 Mar 2007

I think its best to stick to xp for a least another year...New operation systems always have bugs and by the number of updates being released for vista there certainly are a few....
Xp is a very good especially XP pro

Snec 20:51 03 Mar 2007

There's an old saying amongst computer people which says, "never buy version one of anything."

Of course if your computing is a hobby just for fun, rather than for serious use, then going for the first of everything and as early as possible, is the way to go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?