XP home v XP pro backwards compatability

beeuuem 00:55 25 Jun 2003

A friend has recently ordered a laptop from Dell. While placing the order, by telephone, he was advised to upgrade to XP Pro. The reason given for the upgrade was that most of the problems with XP Home are due to driver compatability, viz. that 98 drivers won't always function properly under XP.

He was told that this isn't a problem with XP Pro as it is fully backwards compatable with 98 drivers, thus making the extra cost worthwhile.

I've never heard this line before, your opinions would be welcome.

powerless 01:02 25 Jun 2003

Those two versions of XP are the same. Apart from ones called "Home" and the other "professional". Also the professional version has networking and extra security features.

Driver compatibilty is the same with whatver version you use.

You've been 'ad.

Djohn 01:21 25 Jun 2003

I agree with Powerless, you gain a couple of extras with Pro. version, but nothing that is essential to the home user. j.

NinkyRudes 01:23 25 Jun 2003

There is no difference whatsoever between the two versions concerning backward compatibility.

Perhaps the moral of this story is to post your buying proposals in the PCA helproom first, let the "experts" pick through them first, then order with supreme confidence that you know what you're talking about...

NinkyRudes 01:25 25 Jun 2003

Never mind though. 'Professional' does sound better than 'Home' when you're boasting to your friends about your new system.

beeuuem 01:31 25 Jun 2003

This truly doesn't refer to me. I was born a cynic. While I have been caught out more often than I'd care to admit, I always take any advice which is going to cost me more money with a large pinch of salt.

When I was told this tale, yesterday evening, I burst out laughing as it sounded so ridiculous. I couldn't believe that a reputable company would use this as a technique to sell an upgrade.

Djohn 01:36 25 Jun 2003

If it is an upgrade, then it will be worth checking if your Friend is to also get the XP CD, and not just an install to the drive, If so then it may just be worth the extra. j.

beeuuem 01:44 25 Jun 2003

Good point - I'll get him to check that out.

beeuuem 13:01 25 Jun 2003

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?