XP home upgrade from ME

jagbg 00:38 03 May 2003

Hoe do i uninstall an application that is not shown in the control panel under remove programs.

XP upgrade stopped because of a bloccking issue.

Microsoft shared fax must be removed before i can upgrade.

But it does not appear in control panel under the add/remove programs in control panel.

The same report told me that supervoice is not compatible this too does not appear in the list of programs under add/remove.

How do i uninstall these applications.

barn 01:38 03 May 2003

My advice is: backup ALL of your data including files, documents, address book, favourites, inbox, other emails, ISP settings and phone numbers. Then reformat your hard drive and do a clean install. What you are proposing takes far too much time and will NEVER result in a stable environment.

powerless 02:21 03 May 2003

Providing you have the Windows ME CD do as barn says.

Wipe ME off the drive, then install XP. XP will ask you to insert your ME CD, just pop it and take it out and XP will install.

Bluescreen 11:02 03 May 2003

I did an upgrade on one of my pc's and it failed for numorous reasons.

In the end I used Seagate Diskwizzard and wrote the whole disk to zeros and did clean install from the xp upgrade disk. I didn't have to install Me first, just enter serial Nos when prompted.

Just thought I would share this with you as I have read that you must install or have installed Me/98 first and then upgrade to xp. This is not true.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?