XP home upgrade 32 to 64bit

POP 11:32 25 Feb 2007

Help please, I am upgrading my comp. with a Gigabyte GA-M55-Plus-S3G(rev2.x) MB, Connect 3D Radeon X1950XT 256 Vid Card, Athlon 64 X2 3800 CPU,2Gig DDR2 PC2 6400 memory. and a Sata drive.I would like to reinstall my XP Home and run in 64bit config. Is this possible? The MS sight only seems to say that XP Pro is for 64bit. If this is possible what do I have to do after the reinstall,(updates,drivers etc?) Any help please. Pop

ed-0 11:42 25 Feb 2007

Sorry, you can't. you would need XP Pro 64bit for that.

If you don't want to spend any more money, you will have to use XP home 32bit. You could make a partition and use one of the free linux 64bit operating systems out there. they are fiddly and require a bit of work. Some of your peripherals and components may not work, due to driver support, but hey ho they are free in most cases.

If you want to go to windows 64bit and don't mind spending a few quid. think about the new operating system of Vista. You can buy that in 64bit version off the shelf.

POP 12:13 25 Feb 2007

ed-o, thanks mate it is as I thought but was hoping to use all the available power. I am retired and have found the force of "online gameing" to be the main occupation in my life at this time. Vista will have to wait until they have ironed out the bugs. Thanks for the input. Pop.

Kate B 12:26 25 Feb 2007

Vista isn't any more buggy than any other OS I've used. Just a couple of driver issues to sort out.

POP 13:32 25 Feb 2007

Kate B, The driver issues are what will stop me from upgrading yet. My son has to visit America for his work about four times a year, I hope to get him to bring back Vista at American prices sometime in the future. thanks for the input. Pop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?