XP (Home) start up block

Kalb 11:38 28 May 2006

My old computer (without SP2) boots to the blue windows welcome screen, then the message 'Explorer.exe Entry Point Not Found. AssocGetPerceivedType could not be found in the dynamic link library SHLWAP1.dll' appears.
The computer boots as far as the desktop but there is nothing on it & taskbar not available.
F8 boot for Safe Mode,Enable boot logging,Last known good config etc all end up in the same way.
Is this bird flu !
Suggestions before a complete re-format & reinstall (& consequent loss of info since last back up)would be most welcome.
Thanks

pifko 11:39 28 May 2006

It can't find explorer.exe ? Hmm...Try Ctrl+Alt+Del>New Task>"explorer"
Just to check

Kalb 11:58 28 May 2006

Pifko
Yes Task Manager shows 'explorer.exe Entry Point Not Found' & the Status is shown as 'running'
Are there any other keyboard keys that can be used to say gain entry to a restore point ?

rawprawn 12:49 28 May 2006
  Kalb 14:31 28 May 2006

rawprawn
Tried this....have reset Bios to boot from CDRom.
It gets as far as 'press any key to boot from CD' and despite pressing any key it boots from the HDD as before.
Have purposely ignored booting from any HDDs in the bios and yet it still does it ??

rawprawn 14:42 28 May 2006

Are you sure that you have "Saved the changes" you made in bios, all bios are different but on mine I need to save any changes if not it reverts back to what it was.

Kalb 15:19 28 May 2006

rawprawn
Saved using F10 on mine
Have finally got it to load from the CD but the routine is not the same as in your link. !
I have got as far as the Windows Recovery Console where I'm faced with '1: C:\Windows' followed by
'Which Windows installation would you like to log onto ? To cancel press Enter'
I ended up pressing 'enter' intent on going back to the start again but now it has given me the pages of agreement and I have willingly pressed F8 to agree & at the moment we are back on track and copying files for a repair
Looking good...thanks for your encouragement...will keep you posted

rawprawn 15:35 28 May 2006

Well done!

Kalb 16:09 28 May 2006

Bitter failure !!
Repair has not worked
There is a problem at the point where you are asked which Windows do you wish to log onto.
In my case it was 1 because there is only one but you are then asked for the Administrators password ??
Now I'm stumped...haven't got one
So press enter and you are presented with C:\Windows asking for a prompt
Help provides a list but none seem appropriate...there's no Setup,Repair etc the most obvious
Lost again !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:19 28 May 2006

So press enter and you are presented with C:\Windows asking for a prompt

Type D: press enter (D being the letter of your CD drive)

AT D:\ prompt type setup press enter

1. Setup should now start as before and when you

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R. (This is where you went wrong)

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

rawprawn 16:25 28 May 2006

There is no Administrators password by default, so pressing enter should do it. If XP won't start it may be due to a damaged boot sector or a corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files.
To repair a damaged boot sector type FIXBOOT at the C: prompt and hit enter.Then answer "Y"
To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from your XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the CD enter the recovery console at the C: prompt (Where "X" is your CD drive letter) Type
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:
I will try nd get back but all the family have arrived for dinner this evening.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?