XP Home SP2 always re-starts after shut down

A&D 13:10 23 Sep 2007

My Sony Vaio laptop runs XP SP2 HE. Recently it has developed a problem in which after pressing the Turn Off icon Windows goes through the normal shut down routine and then immediately restarts. The only way I can turn the laptop off is by holding down the power button until Windows hibernates and then closing the lid. The only peripheral connected is a Locitech mouse. The background programs are PC Tools Spyware Doctor and Firewall. Disabling these makes no difference. When I then turn the laptop on again with the power button Windows boots from cold. I have looked at the MS Knowledge Base but can find no relevant solution. Any solutions please?

FreeCell 12:20 24 Sep 2007

click here

Any help?

FreeCell 12:22 24 Sep 2007

Sorry hit return too early.

If you disable automatic restart does it still happen? If so is any error message shown?

Andy1991 17:04 24 Sep 2007

yes, sounds like STOP ERROR, a service might be a bit buggered in stoping.

A&D 15:46 25 Sep 2007

Thanks Andy1991 and FreeCell. I tried the disable auto start option and XP did shut down but with a full blue screen error message which suggested there might be some software that had not installed correctly. This could only be updates for Windows or for PC Tools so after a lot of faffing about I used System Restore to go back before the latest Windows downloads and then re-installed Spyware Doctor. That seemed to do the trick but after downloading updates I got the problem back but this time with a message that there was not enough virtual memory. Investigating this showed that for some unknown reason the virtual memory was set to Zero. I re-applied the system choice option OK but now found that I had an enormous amount of temp files. I've cleared these out, re-installed Spyware Doctor again and I can now shut down without any error messages. Fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?