XP home sp2 admin password???

six-h 23:55 16 Mar 2009

I've finally acquired a laptop running the above, thanks to the generosity of the "freecycle" organisation.
I don't have the set-up disks, so I can't do a re-install, and the admin account is password protected.
I've tried the "top ten passwords" to no avail, and seem to recall that there is another way using safe mode.
Can anyone guide me through it?

rdave13 00:23 17 Mar 2009

If admin account not password protected then have a look here; click here

rdave13 00:24 17 Mar 2009

Oops just read your post again 'admin account is protected'.

six-h 00:36 17 Mar 2009

Hi rdave,
Just been reading this thread
click here
concrening access via safe mode, but it confuses me!

rdave13 00:52 17 Mar 2009

Pressing ctrl+alt+delete twice should bring up the log in screen in normal or safe mode. If you can't enter your password on the windows log on screen then hitting those keys twice brings up the smaller log on window.

rdave13 00:54 17 Mar 2009

Don't think it will help, though, as you say the administrator account is password protected.

six-h 01:08 17 Mar 2009

rdave13; catch 22 ! lol

rdave13 01:10 17 Mar 2009

Not allowed to post how to reset passwords on the forum and rightly so. Google is a very good search engine.

six-h 01:52 17 Mar 2009

This did it: -
Windows XP Home:
Reboot, tapping F8 each second.
Select Safe Mode at the menu.
Select Administrator, leave password blank.

Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
Select the user and change the password.
If you are using Windows XP Pro and have encrypted data, you may permanently lose access to the encrypted data.
It might be the same as other instructions given in the forum, but for some reason, I could follow it, perhaps it is more lucidly displayed.
Got it from here: - click here
In case anyone else has the same experience!
Sorted!

six-h 01:55 17 Mar 2009

Oh, sorry, my last post will be removed then!
Perhaps it might be edited, and just leave my comments and the link, to help others without nefarious intent!! lol

rdave13 09:00 17 Mar 2009

Glad you're sorted. Seems the admin account wasn't password protected then (see my first link)... :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?