XP Home, with SP1a on CD but >

Giggle n' Bits 00:43 24 Oct 2003

Having installed WinXP home with SP1a intact on the CD, which or how many of the MS Windows updates are really needed. Suppose as there is that many of them to donwload which one are not needed.

Surely with having SP1a a lot of the updates & security patches should be intact on the XP installation CD ?.

So anyone in the system building and familiar with MS updates, your help would be good here.

Djohn 00:48 24 Oct 2003

I've had XP Pro SP1 on the CD, running for several months without any updates at all. Then for some reason I must have enabled the auto. update and a couple of nights back they all came down the line and installed.

No problems before the updates and none since, not a direct answer I know but may help you to decide. j.

Giggle n' Bits 00:59 24 Oct 2003

Your answer is fine. I feel that all these extra windows update do hog up the running and perfomance of the machine especially with XP.

I thihk the Auto updating on big brand name machines that is swithced on when delivered is a big mistake as it doesn't have slow things down in ways.

But as I just said above, all these updates & security patches look to me a little like overkill.

Any Microsoft MCSE engineer's out there trained on XP Home ?. Are the Windows updates really really necesary.

Ok, admit there is/was a Blaster patch but its been and gone.

I just installed the same version (Xp Home SP1a) last week and there were a few "critical updates" (about 15mb in total)

How "critical" critical is I dont know but I installed them anyway.

Djohn 01:06 24 Oct 2003

I agree, also if it's a PC for home use, protected with an anti-virus and firewall, then nothing to worry about. Normally I will only update anything if I had a problem with the current application/driver. j.

jimv7 08:25 24 Oct 2003

Its advisable to install the patches for protection against the blaster worm, WindowsXP-KB824146-x86-ENU/WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU.

DieSse 09:05 24 Oct 2003

I use XP pro too, and as a matter of course install ALL the critical and optonal updates (not all the driver updates from MS though).

Crtical updates are to fix error and/or security issues - so to my mind they're essential, home system or not. I have only ever had one minor problem, with the update (can't remember which, it was some time ago) that clashed with some AV programs and slugged performance. This was sorted after a short period.

I am not aware of any performance problems with updates in general, and my system flies along as fast as it ever did.

temp003 09:14 24 Oct 2003

If the list of updates shown is the result of a scan by Windows Update, then they are all subsequent to whatever SP or updates you have installed, and not included in SP1a.

Some updates are for improving functionality, but the security patches should be installed.

I would agree with jimv7 that you should at least install the blaster patch, because that and related viruses exploiting the security hole is still doing the rounds on newly installed/reinstalled NT-based Windows (before users have a chance to install AV).

Your antivirus and firewall may protect you but viruses and trojans exploiting security holes come in new forms which may not be detected by existing AV and firewall. It's better to protect yourself at the more basic level.

Taran 10:49 24 Oct 2003

If you spend a lot of time online I'd strongly suggest that you install ALL critical updates.

After that you can pick and choose from any of the recommended updates that apply to how you use your PC and what you use it for.

There's nothing stopping you from saving the updates and using them on more machines or in case you need to reinstall Windows.

There's many a problem that could have been prevented in certain holes had been plugged and this, along with software updates for smoother or more stable running is what the Windows updates are for.

90% of security patches are there to fix Unchecked buffers that allow arbitary code execution , no firewall will defend you against this so Instal the patches. If you use windows update to scan your system it will only offer you the ones it needs.

Giggle n' Bits 00:46 25 Oct 2003

had for your detailed answers, your views, your feedback & comments.

I express my thanks to all PCA Forum user names as listed above for your feedback here and the support. Really interesting, and also a wacky read giving me my answer/s and also some interesting other titbits of info.

Thank You all !!!

Audio~Chip being really , really chipped

Hit a High note here !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?