XP home size and hard disc replacement

yaesu 13:09 28 Jan 2011

Hi, sorry for 2 queries on same post! I have a Dell 1100 with a ST330621A hard drive (80Gb), is it possible to replace this with this one please click here
Second how big is an XP home installation? I re-installed mine last night hoping to gain some space but find it's taken up 53.9Gb.
I know it's old but it does what I need, or has done until now!!
TIA regards, Yaesu

GaT7 13:15 28 Jan 2011

Looks like your old drive was PATA/IDE while the one you're considering is SATA. Unlikely, but does the motherboard have a SATA header or two like click here (pic on the right)?

A fresh XP Home install shouldn't take up more than 5Gb, including Windows Updates. Did you install many programs after that? G

yaesu 13:23 28 Jan 2011

Hi Crossbow7, thanks for prompt reply.If I can get windows install down to 5Gb I'll not need to change drive! I only installed firefox after using the disc I made when I first had the machine (called Dell/XP recovery CD)so that shouldn't be the prob.
I have the product key on the side of the case so would it be an idea to format the drive first?
Yaesu

GaT7 13:30 28 Jan 2011

Yes, a fresh OS install with an original XP Home disc takes up very little space. It looks like you created an 'image' backup of the OS/drive?

As you have the Product key, I'd suggest borrowing a XP Home OEM disc if you can & doing a fresh install with that. You'll get to format the drive, etc at the beginning of the install process. Don't forget to backup your data before this.

Concerning the drive, yes it's a PATA/IDE one click here. There are ways to install a SATA drive, for example with the help of a PCI SATA card, but probably not required as you say if you can keep the install small by installing from an original disc. G

yaesu 13:36 28 Jan 2011

Thanks again Crossbow7, I'll mark thissolved for now and erturn later with result. Regards, Yaesu

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?