XP Home "sfc /scannow" with wrong CD!!!

FuRoSh 23:14 07 Oct 2008

Decided to fix someone's PC and got rid of some nasty viruses/trojans
except during the process tried running the 'sfc /scannow' command on
this XP HOME Edition old Compaq Presario desktop PC.

*I didn't have the original XP Home CD that they had, so since I have
plenty of XP Professional CDs I decided to insert one of those. This
was one of the latest XP Pro with SP3 using slipstream nLite CD....

Now Windows Product Activation thing keeps coming up with 7 days left
to activate!!!!

I contacted Msft Support to report the issue, MSFT told me to contact
Compaq as they issued the Product Key, I contacted Compaq/HP and they
said out of warranty PC. I can pay $49.00 for support to diagnose but
I explained if I purchased this PC I should own the Product Key and
shouldn't have to pay for a new one!

I didnt back up the wpa.dbl file, I tried entering the COA key of the
XP Home in front of tower/PC but says INCORRECT key, I tried the XP
Professional Key we use, but says INCORRECT key.

I tried to run 'sfc /scannow' command with a XP Home CD that I found
but complains this is the wrong CD, please insert the Windows XP
Professional CD-ROM!!!

Damn I've exhausted my options, anyone got any suggestions/
recommendations, etc.?????? Even thought I should just use XP Activation Crack but only find Vista Timestop cracks..

(Gulp) HELP????

Taff™ 08:37 08 Oct 2008

Let`s find out exactly what`s on the computer. click here and download Belarc Advisor. Run it and tell us which version of XP (Home or Pro) is installed on the computer. Also compare the CD Key on the machine to that reported by Belarc. It sounds as if you have a Pro installation on a machine that has an XP Home COA. Post back your findings.

birdface 09:06 08 Oct 2008

You may have to reformat the computer using a Home Edition of XP.If it says home edition on the COA sticker that is what you have to use.Once reformated just type in the keycode that is on the COA sticker and it should be Ok.Now not sure if a system repair also work but will leave that for someone that knows.Now I would only do this as a last resort as others may know a better way of sorting it.

Taff™ 10:57 08 Oct 2008

I was thinking along the same lines buteman. I have found several XP Home computers that have had XP Pro installed by students at University using "hacks". When a problem like this arises the only real option is to back up all data and re-install from an XP Home CD from scratch. A System repair simply doesn`t work in my experience unless the installed OS is in this instance is XP Home. Let`s see what information we get back.

FuRoSh 20:07 09 Oct 2008

OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
So it does appear that running 'sfc /scannow' on a Win XP Home machine will change the computer version. I was trying to verify the system files oh well I guess I learned now.

My friend doesn't have the original XP Home CD, so i guess I'll just have to wipe the machine and format with my Win XP Pro (SP3) CD. Doesn't appear to be any other way around this one.

I just wish I could've known this so I wouldn't have spent all those days removing the damn viruses and now having to reformat, I would have saved about 4 days. damn...

Thanks for the help guys!

I am Spartacus 20:14 09 Oct 2008

Use the XP Home CD you found and enter the serial no. on his COA sticker, that shouldn't be a problem?

woodchip 21:47 09 Oct 2008

Save all is files then Start with XP Home CD and do a Repair

Taff™ 07:08 10 Oct 2008

In summary then you have an XP Pro installation on a computer that has an XP Home COA sticker on it. I don`t agree that running file checker can change the OS so that means someone has put on XP Pro at some point. You haven`t mentioned the COA Keys but I`m guessing they aren`t the same so make sure you have a note of the current XP Pro key found by Belarc. There`s a chance it may be a genuine upgrade and you`ll need that to re-install the OS. I suspect you`ll have a problem authenticating Windows if you use anything other than an XP Pro SP2 Disc. Let us know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?