XP Home restart loop

baldydave 20:42 29 Sep 2007

Hi,
Any help gratefully received,the problem xp gets to starting up page then reboots,this goes on forever.
It is a Time pc with xp image on hidden partition.
The problem is definately with windows as everything else checked out ok.
As you know with this setup you can only do a complete restore with loss of data,I have connected drive to pc and using a 2nd xp hardrive i can view contents of the drive,does anyone know which file/folder i can edit to turn off auto restart so i can read error code,
Thanks,
Dave

manrow 21:01 29 Sep 2007

Would it be possible to do a safe start in XP and then restore to earlier time?

I am a relative novice so may not be possible.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:02 29 Sep 2007

does anyone know which file/folder i can edit to turn off auto restart so i can read error code,

You can not turn off autorestart unless running from the original system.

If its is rebooting on the Page where the XP logo scrolls the blue/green bars then it is a driver problem.

If crashing on the logon page then a corrupt profile problem.

If you have it connected as a slave then copy all your data docs / emails favourites photos to the 2nd hard drive or burn to CD/ DVD, BEFORE attempting any more repairs.

baldydave 22:23 29 Sep 2007

Thanks for your replies.
The reboot is after logo page but before log on page,its the blue windows starting up page.
As you cannot turn off autostart by file editing,i will back up data, only problem I have not got a spare 120GB drive yes 120GB and its nearly full!!
Safe mode reboots after mup.sys,bootlog shows mup.sys
loading but every driver after this fails,

Dave

SANTOS7 22:25 29 Sep 2007

click here

If your PC is rebooting in a continuous loop it could be an error listed in the link...

woodchip 22:33 29 Sep 2007

If you can get into safe mode then try putting it right there by running System restore to before the problem

VoG II 22:35 29 Sep 2007
  woodchip 22:39 29 Sep 2007

Hidden Partion tells me he does not have a XP

woodchip 22:40 29 Sep 2007

Hidden Partition tells me he does not have a XP

baldydave 22:41 29 Sep 2007

Woodchip thanks but i cannot get into safemode it reboots at mup.sys.
VoG Thanks but this did not work either,

Dave

baldydave 22:44 29 Sep 2007

To confirm Xp home edition on a Time pc oem disc not supplied just restore disc and hidden partition on hard drive, so cannot do a xp repair.Boot from restore disc and it restores hard drive to factory settings,
Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?